I love birthdays I am unashamed to say.
Today is my birthday and I am 33. I’d like to think I am a mixture of not acting my age, having a happy naivety about life and also being wise beyond my years…. But that’s just what I’d like to think!!
So here are some things I like about birthdays.
1. Being around to enjoy them. A birthday for someone passed is a time for thoughtful reflection. A birthday for someone alive is a time for (sometimes rowdy) celebration.
2. Presents – I am not ashamed to say it – I LOVE PRESENTS – I love giving them and buying them and I love receiving them too. Thanks to the 5 Love Languages being a present lover doesn’t appear to be so shallow anymore. ‘A present is love in token form’.
3. Nice words – birthdays are traditionally a time where people write me words are tell me they love me and I love those kind of words even more than presents. If you tell me you love me and I’m awesome I believe it. (And I revisit it often in my mind!)
4. People – birthdays give me an excuse to hang out with people I like who like me back.
5. Cakes – I like making cakes and I like the sense of occasion that a cake brings to a gathering. It doesn’t have to be mine and more than often I don’t get made a cake but I always get excited about making cakes for others.
6. Mail – who can resist mail that comes in nice envelopes instead of boring window envelopes.
7. The photos – well who can resist those ‘resident village idiot’ shots? I specialise in them!
8. Attention – okay this is pretty shallow, even more shallow than some of the others. I get much pleasure in being the centre of attention. I think it wise this doesn’t happen for me too frequently because humility has never been my strongest virtue but there is nothing like a day of being the princess.
So if you are one of those. ‘Don’t make a fuss of my birthday’ types can I just say there are some very good reasons to love birthdays and people like me enjoy making a fuss. Next time you have one trying throwing caution to the wind and CELEBRATE – who knows you might enjoy it??
And if everyone always forgets your birthday and it makes you hurt – help us out and let us know because we’d probably love to celebrate you but some of us have little issues with memory and calendar organisation. Just saying.
In the meantime have a happy day because Dec 1st is my birthday and I’m wishing YOU many happy returns.